Laura Multitasks!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Peculiarity

Since our family was able (finally) to upgrade to DSL from dial-up about a year ago, I have been slowly absorbed by the world of YouTube.

It wasn't that I'd never enjoyed watching a tiny puppy howl or a car sliding on ice before, it was just impossible to see more than one video a night. If that. So I only watched videos when I was at school, and even then, the video had better be good, if I was spending that much time waiting for it to load. Campus internet wasn't the best. But now that videos can load in several seconds, I have been enjoying things I never could before, like watching Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (the Yarn Harlot) knit. She knits incredibly fast! I have also finally been able to catch up with the Vlogbrothers. It has been FUN.

While watching John and Hank, I began to watch other channels from awesome Nerdfighters, and when my fellow WGCC members (Bailey, Kelly, and Kenzie) started a channel, I subscribed to it, too.

But this isn't about the videos. Although, I could easily compile a Best-Of-YouTube list for you. This is about the bookshelves.

I have noticed that many of the YouTubers I enjoy the most film their videos in front of packed bookshelves. And while they're talking, my eyes slowly drift over...and I read titles. As many as I can, as fast as I can. Luckily for me, Bailey and Kelly have posted actual photographs of their respective "favorites" bookshelves, so I can read what I've missed from each of their collections. John and Hank haven't done that. Yet. But no worries. I have started pausing videos to get a better look at John and Hank's bookshelves. And then I go to the Kindle store...and I think you can guess where it goes from there.

Does anyone else do this? Am I the biggest freak of nature ever?

(That question might be rhetorical...)

At any rate, my current read is All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, referenced by John in this video*:



The library had All the King's Men. I have it now.

*Henry is adorable. And yes, John can absolutely write sentences like that. That is why you won a Printz award, John!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS