Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day and the Glory of Kindle

When I went to sleep on Monday night, fervently hoping that we'd have a snow day, I had already finished How to Say Goodbye in Robot, a fantastic YA read. I envision it made into one of those great Indie films, like Juno or Garden State. That left me between books.

The snow had begun to pile up outside, and I settled into bed, flicking off the episode of Gilmore Girls (season one) that I'd been watching while waiting for my Tylenol Cold and Sinus PM to kick in, rescuing me from an inevitable cold. I noticed the time, 11:57 p.m. and smiled to myself.

Why, you ask?

Because I have a Kindle.

Flicking on the wireless, I waited, then as if by magic, watched as the little "Item Downloaded" announcement flickered at the top of my screen. Because, by then, it was February 9.

I didn't have to order my book and wait for delivery. I didn't have to go to Walmart and pray that they'd have it, or drive up to Barnes and Nobles on the weekend. All I had to do was curl up in bed with my heating pad crammed at my feet (right by the chilly window) like a modern-day hot water bottle, and wait. Then I could read my silly Ally Carter novel (Heist Society) in comfort and anonymity, as I am a lit-buff who should be above such things as chic-lit and spy thrillers. Or both in one volume.

I am not above such things. In fact, I think I enjoy them all the more, since I read a great deal of Misery Lit (otherwise known as Edith Wharton novels).

Do you see how cool that was? I was between books, and magically I wasn't. Plus, when I got my phone call at 7:00 a.m., I could take pleasure in knowing that I had an entire day with a new book and no work! It's like living in the wizarding world--or Star Trek!

That being said, I didn't read my new book at all yesterday, unless you count my reading through the first chapter through bleary eyes at 12:05 a.m. before I drifted off to sleep. I should say bleary eye, as by then I was contact-free, and I couldn't so much find my glasses. So I had to do the sad, sad thing I have to do--cover my left eye so I could focus on the page. I know. Depressing. Also kind of freakish. Don't act surprised.

Instead, I crawled back into bed at 7:15 a.m. and took more Tylenol Cold and Sinus PM, then I slept until 2:30 p.m. and woke up cured from my cold, or at least well-rested enough that I didn't feel sick anymore. Then I got dressed and prettied myself up before marathon-knitting something like ten inches of ribbing. Then I dropped two stitches all the way down the length of my sweater-front (the right side)and picked them back up, this time adding buttonholes.

I also watched Castle. Lots and lots of Castle.

Dad walked in late in the evening and said, "You've got to work every day before you realize how great snow days are."

"No, I said. "Snow days are just as awesome now as they were when I was eight." And I meant it.

Snow days are fun. I love them. I would say we should have them more often, but that would steal the magic and nobody wants that.

No comments:

Post a Comment