Laura Multitasks!

Monday, September 29, 2014

September Favorites

I have so many favorites this month. I tried to narrow it down, really, but I didn't read a book this month that wasn't amazing.


The Girl From the Well. Oh my gosh. I can't tell you how much I loved reading this book.

It was creepy. It was awesome. I LOVE the narrator. Before I finished reading it, I had to check online to see if Rin Chupeco had written anything else before The Girl From the Well OR if she was going to write any more with the same character--or characters. The Girl From the Well is Rin's first book, but I was so happy to find out that yes, she does have another book coming in 2015. I can't wait.

Now you get to watch the book trailer.


See? Awesome.

I haven't read a book this month that I haven't loved, so you get some more recommendations. First, Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire, which was Baba Yaga meets The Prince and the Pauper. I immediately sent it home with a friend who HAD to read it.

I just finished Conversion by Katherine Howe. You're going to want to put that one on your TBR list, too. It's a modern-day Salem witch trial, played out in a private girl's school (like Chilton in The Gilmore Girls). There are flashbacks to Salem during the original witch trials. The writing is fantastic, the characters are real and flawed, and I promise you'll love it. Now, if you need me, I'll be reading Katherine's latest.


Now for my non-YA book of the month, Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. This is a love story, but the characters who fall in love do so in UNUSUAL circumstances. I could describe the plot, but I would suck at it compared to the official summary, so you get to read that instead, courtesy of the publisher:
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "
From the award-winning author of Eleanor & ParkFangirl, and Landline comes a hilarious and heartfelt novel about love in the workplace.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.
What would he say . . . ?
My friend (and twin) Kelly loved this so much, I had to read it. Later I found out that our friend Tia had insisted that Kelly pick it up because she'd loved it so much. That means Attachments comes HIGHLY recommended by two awesome ladies. If you don't listen to me, listen to them.

Obligatory adorable fanart of Lincoln and Beth by Irena Freitas. Go see more of her artwork on her website or on her Tumblr! She's amazing.


This month I listened to more Tiffany Aching (by Terry Pratchett), Thud (also Terry Pratchett), Attachments (by Rainbow Rowell, I listened to it and then read it, don't you judge me), and Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. All are awesome in audio as well as in print.

2 comments:

  1. "The Girl from the Well" has been immediately & highly placed on my reading list; seems like the perfect October read, and quite frankly, the kind of book I am really, ridiculously into right now. Thanks for sharing, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, now I can't wait to hear all of your THOUGHTS. *waits for B to start reading* *stares*

      Delete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS