Laura Multitasks!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Richard III and Laura Is a Giant Nerd

Jennifer is doing a linky party on her blog, The Yellow Brick Road and I had to join. I mean, books, right?


I accidentally walked through the new books in the history section at the library and ended up cleaning it out. I have very little willpower where books are concerned. Okay, I have no willpower. This is why I try not to walk through bookstores when I'm trying to stick to a budget.

  1. Digging for Richard III: The Search for the Lost King by Mike Pitts. This is one of many Richard III books out recently. Who knew Richard-Nephew-Killer-the-Third would ever be so popular? (It is possible that Richard did not smother his nephews while they slept peacefully in the Tower, but it is also possible that...he did. Or that he ordered people to do it for him.) After a brief history of Richard III's life, the author jumps right in and gives you his life death story, relating the rumors, fabrications, and historical evidence that brought archaeologists to the car park where they found his remains. Basically, people were parking their cars on top of dead Richard III. Shakespeare would have found that hilarious.
  2. The Demon's Brood: The History of the Plantagenet Dynasty by Desmond Seward. In other Plantagenet-related books, we have this 2014 release Richard III's family. I have read a bunch of other books about the various players in the War of the Roses, so why not read this one? I confess, I picked it up because it has a pretty (if fictional) cover, and I figured I'd give it a go. Before you judge me, if you don't judge books by their covers, you make all cover designers everywhere sit down and cry over the futility of their lives. Do you want to make the cover designers cry? I didn't think so.
  3. Rebellion: The History of England from James I to the Glorious Revolution by Peter Ackroyd. I really like Peter Ackroyd, so I'm giving this a try. I discovered as I was looking up a link for you that this is not his first history of the monarchy, so I may have to put in a request at the library so I can read in chronological order.
  4. How to Be a Victorian: A Dawn-to-Dusk Guide to Victorian Life by Ruth Goodman. This was recommended to me by various people who know how obsessed I am with the Victorian era of literature. Wilkie Collins is my homeboy.
I made you a collage of the book covers plus a picture of my bookshelf because I have stomach flu and got bored.
Yes, I am a massive nerd. Feel free to mock me in the comments. Don't forget to check back at The Yellow Brick Road to see what everyone else is reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS