Laura Multitasks!

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Snow Day

Yesterday, the library had a snow day. This worked out well, because there was no getting out of my driveway if the library had been open (unless someone had let me borrow their sleigh and reindeer).

So instead of leaving the house, I knit a sock.

Morning, as you can tell from the lighting. Note how not-at-all grainy the picture is. This is what day is.

Night. Note the grainy photograph, the darkness, the not-quite-focused air of craptitude. This is what night is. 
The yarn is Cascade Heritage Prints in Clouds. Size one needle, my own toe-up pattern with an afterthought heel.

"But Laura!" You say, "Didn't you do ANYTHING but knit yesterday? What is wrong with you? Are your hands shriveled into wasted claws of agony?!" 

Well, actually, I DIDN'T do anything of use yesterday. I mean, I o washed clothes. I vacuumed. I sorted a few drawers so I could close them again. I began to tame the stash of yarn I have heaped in a corner on the floor, but other than that, I really just knit and watched hours of Miss Marple because I love her.

And I dredged up a few old projects and finally finished these socks.

Again, somebody needs to take pictures during the day, when there is light. What the heck?

The yarn is Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Molly Ringwald and the pattern is Spring Shoots from Socktopus: 17 Pairs of Socks Worth Showing Off, and I completely failed at these. Not because they were a hard knit--they were really fun--but because I looked at them and decided point-blank that I would not weave in the ends or graft the band for the cuff, tossed them in a drawer and there they sat for FOUR YEARS.

That's really shameful.

This year I plan to finish--or frog--all the projects I have sitting in drawers. I have planned this for many years. It works like this: I decide to tackle this challenge. I finish a few things. I start a few new projects. I fail to finish them. They go in a drawer. I end up with the same problem, with new projects, every year. 

But really, this time, I'm going to do it. I will finally succeed by going deep into the UFO pile and taking care of the gravity well itself, the UFOs that are drawing other projects toward them, creating a quantum singularity in my closet that nothing can escape. It will be just like that episode of Star Trek: Voyager when they looked into the singularity and saw Voyager reflected back at them, only with more yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS