Laura Multitasks!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A good day.

Anyone who watches television today knows that this is an awesome day to be alive.

I am a West Wing fan, and from the moment I started voting, I wanted a president like Bartlett. In the fifth season, he walked down the street, meeting people as he walked to the Hill. And I thought, "Wow. Imagine having someone like that in the White House." I was able to vote in the 2004 election, and I wished I could have a candidate I was passionate about the way Bartlett's staff believed in him. I didn't get my wish for that election. I remember watching now-President Obama speak as a junior senator at my grandmother's house outside Chicago. We talked about his speech and agreed that one day he would be president.

When he decided to run, I knew who I would vote for. I volunteered on the campain, knocking on doors. I waged a sign war, replacing the yard signs stolen from our house faithfully until the election. This is a cool day for me, and I am thrilled to think that other people feel the same way. He is our Bartlett, the real-life Bartlett. And, even if he doesn't manage to fix all our country's problems, he can string two words together without sounding like a high-school dropout, and that means something. We can all work together to accomplish the rest.

Remember where you are today, what you do, how you feel. Your children and grandchildren will want to know all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS